The AmeriCorps Program engages Americans in intensive service learning opportunities each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. The grants recently awarded this year will focus AmeriCorps resources on six key service areas.
- Disaster services
- Economic opportunity
- Environmental stewardship
- Healthy futures
- Veterans and military families
Through this program, AmeriCorps members will be placed in host agencies throughout Middlesex County, improving the quality of education and community assistance programs. Members will have the opportunity to earn up to a $6,095 educational stipend and a modest living allowance in return for their commitment and service. Applicants must be 17 years of age or older, a U.S. Citizen, national or legal permanent resident, and be willing and able to commit to one year term of service. Recruitment is ongoing. To learn more, visit AmeriCorps Service Opportunities.
For more information about the National AmeriCorps Program, go to http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
Benefits of Americorps
- Monetary Stipend
- $ 3,047 Education Award for Part-Time Members
- $ 6,095 Education Award for Full-Time Members
- Healthcare Benefits for Full-Time Members
- Child Care Benefits for Full-Time Members
- Professional Growth
- Competitive Resume
- Exceptional Opportunities
- Leadership Experience & Community Service
- Loan Forbearance During Time of Service
Responsibilities of JRF AmeriCorps Member
- Provide referrals and linkages to reduce food insecurity
- Coordinate and create financial literacy programs
- Assist with the recruitment & coordination of volunteer opportunities
- Assist with special projects and events such as MLK Day of Service, 9/11 Remembrance and Pay it Forward
- Identify and network with community partners
- Attend AmeriCorps Trainings & Monthly Meetings
- Timely submission of Program Reports
- Attend statewide AmeriCorps events & training's as required by New Jersey Commission on National and Community Service
Goals and Objectives of JRF AmeriCorps
Focus Area: Healthy Futures
- To have individuals receive support services, education and/or referrals to alleviate long term hunger.
Focus Area: Capacity Building
- To recruit 100 community volunteers
- To have recruited community volunteers complete 150 hours of service
Focus Area: Financial Literacy
- Provide economically disadvantaged individuals with financial literacy services.