WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BECOME AN EMERGING LEADER?
The Emerging Leaders will participate in a service learning institute one Saturday per month. Each monthly meeting will include activities intended to develop civic engagement and leadership skills, in addition to further exploration into population health. The purpose of the Monthly Institute is to prepare the Emerging Leaders to effectively create and implement an action plan that addresses perceived health issues in Perth Amboy. Such activities include:
- Team building and self-assessment activities.
- Learning about the community health needs assessment and specific health threats to Perth Amboy.
- Conversations that address perceived needs of the community.
- Introduction to the theory of change & data collection to measuring the progress of action plan.
- Partnerships with the Perth Amboy Alliance for Community and the Gateway Neighborhood Collaborative to conduct the community surveys.
Emerging Leaders will be provided with a training stipend of $50 for every monthly meeting and $100 for each retreat they attend. Each Emerging Leader will receive a total of $650 for their participation in training sessions throughout the academic year.
Emerging Leaders will turn their plans into action by implementing them July - August 2018 and earn summer pay!
Emerging Leaders will participate in two retreats per year coordinated by the New Jersey Health Initiatives. Retreats are tentatively scheduled for September and June. During the retreats leaders will team build and show their leadership skills, this includes service skill building, community building, personal reflection and goal setting. These retreats are a great opportunity to network with peers and learn a little more about themselves. Further, the Emerging Leaders are expected to:
- Build connections and relationships with other people
- Explore ways in which to define and practice leadership
- Develop strategies for transforming communities
- Challenge themselves through experiential exercises
Interested in becoming an Emerging Leader?
Jewish Renaissance Foundation is a grantee of New Jersey Health Initiatives—a national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.